USA Flag Sheet Cake
Allergy Friendly + Gluten Free + Vegan
In This Recipe
For the Cake
Hungry Harry's Chocolate Cake Mix (2 x 17 oz packages)
4 eggs or egg replacer
2 cups milk of choice
2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
1 cup oil of choice (note: if using an oil that's solid at cool temperatures, like coconut oil, melt the oil before beginning this recipe)
For the Frosting
1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (16 oz)
1/4 cup milk of choice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Topping
1 quart strawberries, washed, hulled, sliced 1/4" thick
1 pint blueberries, washed
1. Bake the cake. Preheat your oven to 360°F and line a 1 inch sheet tray with parchment paper.
2. Sift the Chocolate Cake mix into a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Mix well until combined.
3. Pour the cake batter into the sheet tray.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven and cool completely (refrigeration helps).
6. While the cake is baking and cooling, make your vanilla frosting. With a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the coconut oil until light, fluffy, and smooth.
7. On low speed, add the vanilla, half of the confectioners sugar, and half of the milk.
8. Slowly add the remainder of the powdered sugar, and then the remainder of the milk.
9. Beat until completely smooth and lump-free.
10. Once the cake is completely cooled, begin assembly. Use an offset spatula to frost evenly across the entire cake.
11. In the top left 1/3 of the cake, arrange the blueberries into a square. Then, arrange a row oof strawberries along the bottom of the cake. Leave some room, and add a second row of strawberries. Repeat for a total of seven rows. Take your cake with you to the party for everyone to admire and enjoy!