1. Remove the hulls from the strawberries and slice to 1/4-inch thickness. Place the slices in a small bowl and lightly crush with a fork. Optional: toss with 1/2 cup sugar and set aside for 30 - 45 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
3. In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add the softened butter, and use your fingers to rub it into the dry ingredients until the butter bits are the size of small peas.
4. Add the chilled and hardened coconut cream to the mixture. Mix the dough until combined and soft.
5. Lightly flour a clean work surface, then use a rolling pin to roll the dough to approximately 1/2-inch thickness.
6. Using a 3-inch round cutter (or the top of a glass), cut an even number of circles.
7. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Melt the remaining butter and brush the parchment paper with it. Transfer half of the circles to the prepared tray. Brush the butter on top of each one.
8. Layer the second half of the circles on top of each. Brush with the remaining melted butter.
9. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
10. While the shortcakes are cooling, make the coconut cream. Whip the cream until it thickens to a stiff peak. Add the vanilla, then beat again until thick.
11. To assemble, after the shortcakes have cooled, split them open and add a layer of cream and berries. Sandwich and serve!