Allergy Friendly + Vegan + Gluten Free
1 large yellow onion
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon fine ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
4 eggs or egg replacers
3 cups buttermilk OR 3 cups milk of choice plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Prepare the onion. Using a cutting board, slice both ends from the onion, peel off the skin, then place the onion on its side and cut 1/4" slices. You should get nice thick rounds that can be separated into different sizes. You may wish to set aside the smaller rings, or use them all.
2. Marinate the onion rings in the buttermilk (or milk alternative + lemon juice mixture) for 1 hour at room temperature, or longer for softer onion rings.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, pepper and paprika.
4. Set up your breading station by placing a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet, and preparing three baking dishes. In two of the bowls, add 1 1/2 cups of the flour mixture. In the last bowl, add the eggs, plus 2 Tablespoons of water whisked in.
5. One at a time, use tongs to remove the onion from the milk, allowing excess milk to drip before dredging in the first flour mixture, coating completely.
6. Dust the onion rings of excess flour and move to the egg mixture, coating completely.
7. Allow excess egg mixture to drip off then move to the second flour mixture, coating completely.
8. Place the onion rings on the baking tray in a single layer to allow to drip while you coat each ring.
9. Spray the basket of your air fryer with cooking spray. Place a single layer of onion rings in the basket, spray, and cook at 350° F for 15 minutes. Flip halfway through baking, and spray again.
10. Remove and serve while hot and fresh.