Allergy Friendly + Gluten Free + Vegan
In This Recipe
For the Cookie
1 3/4 cups Hungry Harry's All-Purpose Flour Blend
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
8 tablespoons coconut oil or vegetable shortening, soft, not melted
2 eggs or 2 egg replacers, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
For the Frosting
1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil
3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar (16 oz)
1/4 cup milk of choice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the eyes: 30 raisins, or store-bought allergy friendly candy
For the nose: 15 allergy friendly jelly beans or candies, or a small amount of colored frosting
2 round cookie cutters in varying sizes, for the head and ears
1. Start with the cookie base. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine All Purpose Flour Blend, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, granulated sugar and powdered sugar.
3. Add the oil, egg, and vanilla then mix to combine. The dough will be thick and stiff – you can squeeze it together with your hands to bring it all together.
4. Using the cookie cutters, cut out 15 large circles (the faces) and 30 small circles (the ears) and place them on the baking tray.
5. Bake for 6 - 8 minutes. Remove from the oven, transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
6. While the cookies are cooling, make the frosting. With a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the coconut oil until light, fluffy, and smooth.
7. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the vanilla, half of the confectioners sugar, and half of the milk. Slowly add the remainder of the confectioners sugar, and then the remainder of the milk.
8. Beat until completely smooth and lump-free.
9. After your cookies are completely cooled, use a piping bag or spatula to cover every large, face cookie with frosting. We recommend leaving a tiny rim of cookie around the outside of each to avoid drips.
10. Next, frost the smaller, ear cookies in the same way.
11. Gently lift the face and place the 2 ears. The ears should be parallel but not touching, can 1/3 of the ears should make contact with the back of the face cookie. This will ensure they stay on when the frosting sets.
12. Decorate with the eyes and nose. Let the icing set before sharing. Yum!