Heart-Shaped Valentine's Day Cake
Allergy Friendly + Gluten Free + Vegan
In This Recipe
For the Cake
1 package Hungry Harry's Yellow Cake Mix or Chocolate Cake Mix
2 eggs or egg replacers
1/2 cup oil of choice
1 cup milk of choice
For the Frosting
One batch of HH Vanilla Frosting
Allergy-friendly food coloring
Two heart-shaped cake cutters of different sizes
1. Begin the cake. Bake cake according to package directions in a 18" x 13" sheet pan. Cool completely in the refrigerator or freezer.
2. Cut two hearts using the large cutter. Punch out the inside of the heart cake using the smaller cutter, so you end up with a cake that looks like an outline of a heart.
3. Chill completely, or better yet, freeze - the harder the cake is, the easier it will be to handle and assemble. (And save the leftover cake for a different heart cake!)
4. While the cake is chilling, make the frosting. With a hand mixer or electric mixer, beat 1/4 cup of coconut oil until light, fluffy, and smooth.
5. Slowly add 8 oz powdered sugar, the 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 2 tbsp of your milk of choice. Slowly add another 8 oz of powdered sugar, and then another 2 tbsp of your milk of choice Beat until completely smooth and lump-free.
6. Separate frosting into small bowls, and use the food coloring to make different colors. Put each colored frosting into its own pastry bag (or, use a resealable sandwich bag and cut the corner off!).
7. Before assembling, ensure your cake is completely chilled, as the coconut oil in the frosting will melt easily.
8. To assemble, place one heart cake on a serving plate. Using your colored vanilla frosting, squeeze dots of frosting on the cake, in whatever arrangement of colors you'd like.
9. Carefully place the second heart cake on top of the first frosted cake, and repeat the frosting process.