1. Begin by baking the cake. Preheat your oven to 360°F. Grease a cake pan with your preferred oil.
2. Sift the Chocolate Cake mix into a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Mix well until combined.
3. Pour the cake batter into your prepared cake pan.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Allow to cool completely, then use your heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out 12 hearts. Set aside.
6. Begin the cookies. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
7. Combine all the dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
8. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips. Stir every 10-15 seconds until melted so as not to burn the chocolate.
9. To the chocolate, add the oil, egg, and vanilla. Mix to combine.
10. Combine the wet and dry ingredients until a thick dough forms.
11. Drop the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper, cover with a second sheet, then roll the dough out to 1/8 inch thickness.
12. Cut out 24 hearts using the same cookie cutter as you used for the cake.
13. Place each heart on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 mins before baking.
14. Bake for 6 - 8 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies darken. Cool completely before assembling.
15. Make the frosting. Begin by chilling the canned coconut cream upside-down in the refrigerator the night before you plan to bake. This allows the water to separate from the hard cream that we will use in this recipe.
16. Remove the chilled, inverted can of coconut cream from refrigerator, and carefully use a can opener, treating the bottom of the can as the "lid".
17. Spoon out only the semi-hard cream at the top of the can into a medium-sized bowl. Do not include any of the liquid from the can.
18. Add the confectioners sugar and vanilla extract to the bowl, and whip using a hand or stand mixer until stiff peaks form. Use immediately.
19. Once the cookies have cooled, spread a thin layer of frosting to the bottom of each cookie.
20. Attach the cookies to the top and bottom of each cake heart. Give a gentle press to make sure the frosting keeps the sandwiches in place.
21. Serve on their own or alongside our raspberry coulis.