Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies
Allergy Friendly + Gluten Free + Vegan
In This Recipe
For the Gingerbread Cookies
3 1/4 cups Hungry Harry's All Purpose Flour Blend
3/4 cups coconut oil, soft, but not melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg or egg replacer
1/2 cup molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
zest of 1 orange
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Note: If you'd prefer, you can replace the cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg with a total of 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/4 teaspoons of allergy-friendly organic gingerbread spice.
For the Frosting
1 batch Vanilla Frosting or 1 batch Chocolate Frosting
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, mix the coconut oil with the brown sugar until soft and fluffy.
3. Add the egg, molasses, vanilla, and orange zest, and mix until combined.
4. Add the baking soda, salt, spices, and All Purpose Flour Blend. Mix until a dough forms.
5. Split the dough in half and form into discs about 1" high. Wrap in parchment or wax paper and refrigerate for one hour.
6. While the dough is chilling, make a batch of Hungry Harry's Vanilla Frosting or Hungry Harry's Chocolate Frosting, using the instructions linked in the ingredients section above. Cover and set aside.
7. Once the dough has chilled, preheat your oven to 350° F.
8. Lightly dust your counter and rolling pin with All Purpose Flour Blend.
9. Roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut using your favorite cookie cutters. Place on a parchment lined sheet tray, spaced 1 inch apart.
10. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, turning halfway through to ensure an even bake.
11. Once the cookies are fully cooled, spread a spoonful of frosting on the underside of a cooled cookie, then top with another cookie. Serve immediately, or store at room temperature until you're ready to enjoy.