Allergy Friendly + Gluten Free + Vegan
In This Recipe
3 1/4 cups Hungry Harry's All-Purpose Flour Blend
3/4 cups coconut oil, softened, not melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg or egg replacer
1/2 cup molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
zest of 1 orange
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Note: If you'd prefer, you can replace the cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg with 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/4 teaspoons of allergy-friendly organic gingerbread spice.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, mix the coconut oil with the brown sugar in a bowl until soft and fluffy, about one minute.
3. Add the egg, molasses, vanilla, and orange zest. Mix until combined. Add the baking soda, salt, spices, and All-Purpose Flour Blend. Mix well until a dough forms.
4. Split dough in half and form into discs about 1” high. Wrap in parchment or wax paper, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. After the dough has chilled, unwrap and lightly dust your counter and rolling pin with All-Purpose Flour Blend. Roll the dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter and cut out your cookies. Place them on a baking tray, 1 inch apart.
6. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes until the edges turn dark brown. Turn the tray halfway through to ensure an even bake. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. To decorate, follow our Royal Icing recipe (linked above in the ingredients section).