Chilled Banana Cream Pie
Allergy Friendly + Gluten Free + Vegan
For the Sugar Cookie Crust:
For the Filling:
4 large ripe bananas
4 tablespoons butter alternative, Earth Balance Soy Free Spread, melted
1 cup coconut milk cream
1/3 cup sweetened condensed coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons coarse sugar
A pinch of salt
1. Start by making the crust. In a food processor, pulse the sugar cookies into fine crumbs. Add melted butter and salt, then pulse until combined.
2. Firmly press the crumb mixture evenly on the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Chill for 25 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
4. Bake the pie crust for 12 minutes until it is dry and set. Let it cool completely on a wire rack before adding the filling.
5. Make the filling. In a large bowl, mash 2 bananas until smooth. Stir in the condensed coconut milk, vanilla, and a pinch of salt until combined.
6. In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the coconut milk cream on high until stiff peaks form.
7. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold-in the whipped coconut cream into the banana mixture.
8. Pour the filling into the pie crust dish. Cover with plastic and freeze until firm, at least 12 hours.
9. Cut the remaining 2 bananas lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Layer these slices on top of pie. Sprinkle coarse sugar evenly on top. If you have a kitchen torch, you can use it to caramelize the sugar.
10. Store in the freezer when not enjoying to maintain freshness.